Click here to see snack and treat ideas for altered taste and smell due to Long Covid

Not being able to eat so many foods is something I never thought would happen and it can be so difficult to find treats when most foods have either a bad taste or little taste. However, it is important to sometimes be able to have something nice. Here are some foods I have been trying.πŸ˜€

Mince Pies

It is so annoying that many of my go to Christmas snacks are currently inedible. However, I have found that mince pies work well for me at the moment. I wasn't expecting to be able to eat them when I tried a bite so was very surprised when they didn't taste bad to me. As a plus, they also have a lot of different textures which is good when you can't taste much. 








Cadbury white chocolate fingers

I decided to try some Cadbury white chocolate fingers today. They were a success as they had no unpleasant taste for me. Since discovering I am able to have white chocolate, it has been much easier finding snacks to eat.



Yoghurt rice cakes

Have discovered these rice cakes also work well for me. They have a good texture and I can slightly taste the yoghurt too.

When I first opened the packet I was not sure if I would be able to have them as there was quite a strong smell which didn't smell the best to me. However, as long as I open the packet away from me they taste fine to me.







White chocolate and lemon cookies

These cookies from Lidl are perfect for me at the moment. Since discovering I can have white chocolate, I have found a few more snacks I am able to have. I can also slightly taste the lemon flavour in these which is ideal.

I am going to try white chocolate caramel cake at some point too to see if this works for me and will post any successes.πŸ˜€







Rice snacks

When I discovered I could eat white chocolate, I decided to give these Rice Snaps bars from Asda a go. The cereal has a great texture and the white chocolate base is ideal too. They also have a great flavour and taste very vanilla to me but this may just be my parosmia as I can't see vanilla extract in the ingredients list. However, they work well for me at the moment so I am very happy.







Apple pie and ice cream

I really enjoyed this dessert. I could taste the sweetness of the stewed apple inside the pie and had many different textures from the apple, pastry and ice cream. The apple pie was served chilled and with the ice cream the desert was very cold which is ideal for me at the moment. 








Vanilla Cheesecake

This cheesecake did not have many flavours for me which I could taste but I think that a cheesecake with a jam topping would be great as I would probably be able to taste the sweetness  of this. I could occasionally taste some of the vanilla flavour but I mostly enjoyed the texture of this treat. The base was slightly crunchy and the cream cheese was smooth so this was a good contrast and despite the lack of flavour, I would be happy to have cheesecake again.







Grapefruit

I have found grapefruit works well for me at the moment. It is sour tasting but we sprinkled some brown sugar on top to make it slightly sweet too. I could taste these two flavours well and  although it did not taste the same as usual, it was still perfectly pleasant.








White Chocolate Ice Lolly

Been really missing chocolate as I am unable to take dark chocolate or milk chocolate at the moment as it tastes so awful to me😒. However, when I read that some people with parosmia are able to take white chocolate, I decided to give it a go. To my surprise, I have found that it actually tastes fine for me, if different to how it tasted before Long Covid. 

White chocolate ice cream lollies are perfect as they combine one of my favourite snacks at the moment, ice cream, with chocolate which I was missing so much. Although the white chocolate tasted more like custard to me than chocolate but it was still nice.





Fruit

Although there are some fruits I am unable to eat; strawberries, kiwi, passion fruit, raspberries, blueberries etc. I have found many fruits I am able to have. In this bowl is some pear, banana, honeydew melon and black grapes. The grapes were probably my favourite fruit in the bowl as they tasted quite sweet to me.  Other fruits I enjoy at the moment are apple, nectarine and watermelon.







Ice cream

Vanilla ice cream is currently my favourite snack as it has no unpleasant taste to me and the coldness is a nice change compared to foods that have only been in the fridge. In this instance, I used some butterscotch sauce on my ice cream to add some extra sweetness which I could taste as well.








Lemon drizzle cake

Long Covid does not just affect those who have the symptoms but also those who are living with people suffering from the illness. I am so grateful for all my Mum's efforts in cooking me meals which avoid trigger foods and are served cold. This week, my sister and I made this lemon drizzle cake for our Mum for her birthday.

Normally I would make cakes from scratch but for easiness this year we decided to make a lemon drizzle cake using a packet mix from Tesco.  I did have to leave the kitchen whilst it was cooking but otherwise I would say that this cake was a success. I was not too worried about whether or not I would be able to eat the cake when I bought it but to my surprise it actually had no unpleasant taste for me. I think this is because the sour flavour from the lemon covered up the taste of the eggs or it could be because there was only two eggs needed.  


Peanut bar

I tried this snack at the weekend and found it worked well for me. At the moment, peanut butter is one of my go to foods and this is literally some oat biscuits sandwiched together with some smooth peanut butter. They had no unpleasant taste for me and also had a good texture.

These bars are very convenient for a quick snack. However, if you have 'Oaties'  biscuits and smooth peanut butter in your cupboard, you could try having them together instead of buying these pre-packaged bars.






Creme caramel

Was not sure how I would be with this dessert but it had no unpleasant taste for me.πŸ˜€ It has an unusual texture so it was good to eat something a bit different and I could slightly taste the caramel sauce. As it is served cold this is good too as I am able to tell the difference between room temperature foods and cold foods.







Cashew bar

These Lidl cashew bars were one of the first snacks I found I was able to eat. They only contain dates and cashew nuts so if you can eat these then hopefully they should be fine for you too. As I have mentioned on other pages, cashew nuts have a great texture. These bars are also very convenient and would be great for a snack at school or work.







Ginger cake

I have mentioned this cake on my 'dinner ideas for altered taste and smell due to Long Covid' page in the post where I cooked some Indonesian buffet food but I thought I would put it here as well. 

As this cake contains spices, I was able to taste some of it which was quite nice. However, most cakes do contain eggs so beware of this if eggs are trigger foods for you.

Comments